Thursday, November 7, 2013

November 7, 2013 - Analyzing Conflict and Character

I can answer/discuss questions in a proficient manner.

To do this I must  . . .

  1. use the question in my answer
  2. use textual evidence (direct quotes)
  3. Explain how those quotes connect to the "outside world"
  4. support my thinking
I will show this by answering questions 2, 4, and 5 on pg. 41.


Questions: from pg. 41 (Class model is the answer to number 6 - I expect your answers to look like mine.) - You can find the text in Monday and Tuesday's tab.

2. How does the story's title suggest all the narrator's internal and external conflicts? What do you think of the title?

4. What mistake has the narrator never repeated? What are the "secret, hidden tuggings in the night" that he mentions? (hint look at pg. 40)

5. A reader objects to the character of Sheila Man, saying she is portrayed as a stereotypical "air head."  How would you respond?

6. Another reader says the boy isn't believable. How would you respond?

Patrick D'Andrea
Period 7
The Bass, the River, and Sheila Mant
November 6, 2013

 If another reader says the boy isn’t believable I would respond by saying that that is not true.  One reason I think the boy is believable would be the way the author shows how strong his crush is on Sheila Mant.  “The tortured will-I’s, won’t-I’s, the agonized indecision over what to say” is exactly like a boy with a crush would do.  Any boy would be so nervous asking out a girl that he finds extremely attractive, especially with an older boy.  Another reason why I think the narrator is believable is the way he talks to Sheila.  He thinks she is boring, even a bit conceited, but he doesn’t care.  He cares about the fish.  After Sheila tells him about her future, the narrator struggles with the fish and then says, “that’s neat,’ I mumbled. ‘Skiing yeah, I can see that.”  He mumbled and he couldn’t see that.  He, being a teenage boy, was concerned with this huge fish he had hooked “on accident.”  If he was 17 like the girl, I would agree with the reader who says the boy isn’t believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment