Tuesday, December 17, 2013

December 17, 2013 - Revising Analysis Essay

I can read and evaluate my essay for proficiency.

To be able to do this I must understand the expectations for this essay.

To demonstrate this I will turn in two essays: a rough draft with edits and a final essay.

Directions:

1.       Finish your first draft response to “Story of an Hour”
a.       Prompt: Discuss how two literary elements help convey the theme of the story.
b.      In “Story of an Hour” Chopin uses __________ and ____________ to convey _____________________________________________________________.
2.       READ YOUR FINISHED DRAFT
3.       As you are reading your draft make sure you’ve included the following:
a.       Thesis statement with two literary elements and clear theme.
b.      2 body paragraphs (One about how each literary elements helped convey the theme)
c.       2 topic sentence at the beginning of each body paragraphs
d.      Logical background information that helps to set up your textual evidence
e.      2 or more examples of textual evidence that help prove part of your thesis
f.        2 Comment #1’s – explain the meaning of the quote and its connection to the lit. element.
g.       2 Comment #2’s – explains the importance of evidence and clearly connects evidence and ideas to thesis statement.

Questions to ask when you are finished:
1.       Is this the best I can do?
2.       Are there any places where I could choose a stronger word?
3.       Did I include everything from the list above?
4.       Would my paper make sense for someone who has never read the story before?
5.       Do my examples of textual evidence truly have the literary element I discussed in them?
6.       Did I connect my analysis to my thesis?
7.       Did I answer so what in my comment 2’s?
8.       Was my writing interesting?

Revise: After you have finished checking your papers for all of the following (above), rewrite your essay with corrections on a separate sheet of paper. You will staple your rough draft to your revised draft and turn it in as your final.


Note: If you do not show any revision and still have multiple mistakes, your grade will be lowered.

No comments:

Post a Comment