Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Vocabulary #5 - Test April 26


The Phone Keeps Ringing
Words In Context
You have received these words on Monday April 22, 2013 (unless you were absent)
The Test On These Words Will be on Friday, April 26, 2013

            After a grueling day at the office, I feel I have the right to an evening of serenity when I finally make it home.  After all, a man’s home is his palace, right?
            Well, not exactly.
            The problem is the multitude of solicitors who, it seems, have resolved to interrupt every task I am determined to complete.  And what are these tasks?  Nothing spectacular, I assure you: simply those monotonous, though enjoyable, pursuits that conclude a day.  You know: things like dinner and doing dishes and catching up on a little email and TV.
            Here’s a typical interruption: the phone call from a charitable organization.
            First, the caller identifies the organization.  It takes me just a moment to infer his true purpose from his tone and content.  He wants some of my money.  Then he goes on to remind me of the benevolent work his organization performs.  I don’t need reminding.  I know the compassionate nature of the organization’s work.  That’s why I’ve contributed each of the last five years.  What I really need is for the phone call to come to an end so that I can resume preparing dinner.  But that doesn’t happen as soon as I’d like.  The caller thanks me for having contributed in the past, but he wants to know if this year I’ll be willing to take the next step and donate as much as $500.  So I brashly take control of the conversation.  I tell him that I will contribute $50, precisely what I gave last year.  
            That’s when he really starts to annoy me.  He wonders if $250 would be possible.  I say no.  Well, how about $200?  No.  In this manner, the amount of the request gradually dwindles, until we settle upon the $50 I’ve always given.
            I don’t get it.  What makes him think I’ve has such a terrific year that I’d go from $50 to $500?  And why does he have to make me feel like a miser because $50 is all I can afford?
            By the time I return to chopping vegetables, not only am I $50 poorer, I have also given up any hope of a quiet peaceful evening.  After all, it’s only 6:30, lots of time for the phone to keep ringing.
           
Below or on back or in your notebook-write the definitions and their parts of speech
AND
Use it in a sentence of your own-it will help.
NO EXCUSES!
             
For Example: miser – n – a cheap person or someone who is very cautious with money

            Sentence Example:  Many people consider my friend a miser because he only buys items that are on                                                        sale.


No comments:

Post a Comment